May 15, 2013
Alabama Game Notes_Vandy
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The Alabama Crimson Tide (32-22, 13-13 SEC) will complete its 2013 regular season with a three-game series at No. 1 Vanderbilt (46-6, 24-2 SEC) this weekend. The series between the Tide and Commodores will begin on Thursday night with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CST, from Hawkins Field. Game two is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. CST, on Friday, and the final game of the series begins at 1 p.m. CST, on Saturday.
All Alabama baseball games throughout the 2013 season will be broadcast by the Crimson Tide Sports Network (CTSN). All three games of the Vanderbilt series will be broadcast on 95.3 The Bear in Tuscaloosa, with Chris Stewart and Lee Tracey calling the action. Livestats will be available on RollTide.com and a live webcast for the all three games will be available on vucommodores.com/allaccess, as part of the Commodore’s subscription plan.
After midweek wins over Mississippi Valley State (8-3) and No. 25 Troy (11-2), the Crimson Tide posted a Southeastern Conference series win over Missouri, to complete its 2013 home schedule. Alabama won the opening game of the series 9-7, before falling in game two, 7-3. The Tide scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to win Sunday’s series finale 7-6. Austen Smith delivered a walk-off RBI double for the final run of the game. The SEC series win over the Tigers marked the fifth of the season for the Crimson Tide.
Vanderbilt is the consensus number one team in the country heading into the final week of the regular season. The Commodores have won their last 13 SEC weekend series’ dating back to last season
Alabama will start RHP Charley Sullivan on Thursday, RHP Spencer Turnbull on Friday. Vanderbilt will start RHP Walker Buehler on Thursday, LHP Kevin Ziomek on Friday and RHP Tyler Beede on Saturday. UA has not announced a starter for Saturday.
THURSDAY W-L ERA G/GS IP H R ER BB SO
UA-Charley Sullivan (Sr., RHP) 5-4 3.06 13/13 79.1 81 31 27 21 71
VANDY-Walker Buehler (Fr., RHP) 3-1 2.45 13/6 44.0 40 14 12 23 39
FRIDAY W-L ERA G/GS IP H R ER BB SO
UA-Spencer Turnbull (Soph., RHP) 4-3 3.62 12/12 72.0 76 36 29 26 38
VANDY-Kevin Ziomek (Jr., LHP) 10-2 2.00 13/13 94.2 60 24 21 32 92
SATURDAY W-L ERA G/GS IP H R ER BB SO
VANDY-Tyler Beede (Soph., RHP) 13-0 1.73 13/13 83.1 47 20 16 49 86
Vanderbilt enters the series against Alabama with a 46-6 overall record, following a 6-1 victory over Belmont on Tuesday night. The Commodores have already clinched the Southeastern Conference regular season title with a 24-2 overall record heading into the weekend. VU is the consensus No. 1 team in the country and is ranked first in all of the collegiate baseball polls.
The Commodores have run off 13 straight SEC series wins dating back to last season, and with four non-conference series victories this season, Vandy has won its last 17 weekend series. Vandy leads the SEC with a .320 average for season, and are hitting .326 during SEC games. The Commodores average 7.2 runs and 10.7 hits per game. The Dores’ pitching staff has a 2.52 ERA for the season, and a 2.78 ERA during conference games. Opponents are hitting just .211.
Tony Kemp leads the team and the SEC with a .411 batting average this season. With his sixth triple of the season on Tuesday, he tied the SEC career record with 21 career triples. Mike Yaztrzemski leads the team with a .402 average during SEC play, while hitting .326 for the season. Connor Harrell leads the team with 10 home run and 57 RBI, with a .316 average. Tyler Beede has been one of the top pitchers in the SEC all season, posting a 13-0 record with a 1.73 ERA. Beede has won all 13 games he’s started. Kevin Ziomek is 10-2 with a 2.00 era and leads the team with 92 strikeouts and 94.2 innings pitched. Thursday starter, Walker Buehler will make his seventh start of the year, and enters the series with a 3-1 record and a 2.45 ERA.
When Alabama and Vanderbilt meet this weekend, it will mark games 140-142 in the all-time series. In a series that dates back to 1893, Alabama holds an 86-51-2 record against the Commodores. In the most recent series, Alabama won two of three games when the team played in Tuscaloosa during the 2012 campaign. In the last meeting in Nashville, the No. 1 ranked Commodores swept the Tide in 2011. In the last four series against Vandy, Alabama is 7-5, which included a sweep of the Commodores in Nashville in 2009.
Alabama posted a 4-1 record during the week that included non-conference wins over Mississippi Valley State (8-3) and No. 25 Troy (11-2). The Tide posted their fifth SEC series win of the season, taking two of three game against the Missouri Tigers. Alabama won the first game 9-7, dropped the second game 7-3, and won 7-6 on Sunday … With a three-run ninth inning against Missouri, Alabama posted its first walk-off win of the season and first victory of the year when trailing after seven innings. With the wins over MVSU and Troy, Alabama completes its non-conference season with an 18-9 record, while posting a 12-3 record in midweek games. In the five games, UA posted a .371 batting average with nine home runs and 10 doubles. The Tide hit .364 against Missouri with five home runs and four doubles. The Tide has now recorded 10 or more hits in the last five games. Alabama is hitting .258 for the season and has now hit 24 home runs with 69 doubles this season.
• Charley Sullivan recorded his sixth quality start of the year, and fifth during SEC play, after throwing 7.0 scoreless innings against Missouri on Friday night … Sullivan allowed five hits and two walks and had seven strikeouts … he leads the team with five wins, 79.1 innings pitched and 71 strikeouts and has a 3.06 ERA.
• Justin Kamplain recorded a career-high 10 strikeouts and didn’t walk a batter against Missouri on Sunday … Kamplain threw 6.2 innings, allowing three runs on eight hits.
• Jay Shaw made his 11th appearance of the season on Saturday, throwing 3.0 innings against the Tigers … Shaw’s scoreless inning streak came to an end at 12.0 innings, after allowing one run on five hits … Shaw has a team-low 1.83 ERA this season in 19.2 innings pitched and opponents are hitting .215 against hit.
• Taylor Wolfe threw 4.0 innings against MVSU on Tuesday in just his second appearance of the season … Wolfe recorded his first out in a Crimson Tide uniform since June of 2011, after missing the 2012 season due to Tommy John surgery.
• Taylor Guilbeau gave the Tide 5.2 innings and earned the win against No. 25 Troy … Guilbeau allowed one run on seven hits with five strikeouts against the Trojans.
POSITION PLAYER NOTES
• Kyle Overstreet paced the Tide with a .500 (9-for-18) average, with six RBI in the five games … Overstreet was 6-for-11 (.545) with a team-leading five RBI in the Missouri series.
• Mikey White hit .474 (9-for-19) with two doubles and a home run for a .737 slugging percentage … White led the Tide with a .636 average in the Missouri series, going 7-for-11 with three RBI … White had a 1.000 slugging percentage in the series against the Tigers … White leads the Tide with a .333 batting average during SEC play.
• Ben Moore finished the week with a .474 average (11-for-23) and led the team with eight RBI in the five games … Moore had a home run and a double in the Missouri series, and finished the three game set with a .429 (6-for-14) average with four RBI … Moore leads the team with a .298 average for the season, and with four stolen bases this week, he now has a team-high 16 this season to rank fourth in the SEC.
• Austen Smith hit .313 for the week and .300 in the Missouri series … Smith had the game-winning RBI double in the bottom of the ninth in the 7-6 win over Missouri … Smith hit a home run against Troy and is tied for the team lead with Brett Booth with six home runs.
• Booth hit a pair of home runs during the week, to match Kenny Roberts for team-high honors for the week.
• Roberts posted a .391 average in the five games, with four RBI and a team-best eight runs scored … Roberts hit his first career leadoff home run in the series opener against Missouri on Friday night.
• Andrew Miller was 4-for-10 in the Missouri series, which included a 3-for-4 performance in the series finale.
• Georgie Salem clubbed his first career home run on Saturday, and finished the week with a .364 average.
Alabama will compete in the SEC Baseball Tournament, which runs from May 21-26, at the Hoover Met in Hoover, Ala. Alabama’s seed and opponent for the tournament have not been determined, but the Tide will play in the single elimination round on Tuesday, May 21.
Follow the Alabama Crimson Tide baseball team on Facebook at Alabama-Baseball and on Twitter at @AlabamaBSB.