Feb. 20, 2014
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The No. 21-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide (2-1, 0-0 SEC) returns to Sewell-Thomas Stadium for a three-game series against the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (2-2, 0-0 SLC) this weekend. First pitch for the series will be 6:05 p.m., on Friday, Feb. 21. Game two of the series will begin at 2:05 p.m. on Saturday and the series wraps up on Sunday with a 1:05 p.m. first pitch.
Alabama is ranked No. 21 in the Baseball America and Perfect Game USA preseason polls. The Crimson Tide is ranked No. 27 by the NCBWA, No. 28 by Collegiate Baseball News and is receiving 26 votes in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll.
No. 21 Alabama (2-1) vs. Stephen F. Austin (2-2)
Sewell-Thomas Stadium, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Schedule - Friday, 6:05 p.m., Saturday 2:05 p.m., Sunday 1:05 p.m.
Television - None
Steaming - RollTide.com (TIDETv subscription) and ESPN3 (Friday only)
Radio - The Game 99.1 FM (Friday and Saturday), 790 AM WTSK (Sunday only)
Livestats - Rolltide.com
Probable Pitching Matchups
Friday - UA-Spencer Turnbull (Jr., RHP, 0-0, 0.00) vs. SFA-Cameron Gann (Jr., RHP, 1-0, 3.60)
Saturday - UA-Justin Kamplain (Jr., LHP, 0-0, 5.40) vs. SFA-Kyle Cross (Sr., RHP, 0-1, 3.60)
Sunday - UA-Ray Castillo (So., RHP, 0-0, 6.00) vs. SFA-Dillon Mangham (Jr., LHP, 1-0, 1.80
Friday, Feb. 14 - Family Fun Pack: Four tickets, four hot dogs, four bags of chips and four soft drinks for just $40 • Fraternity Friday: Nine select fraternities are invited to tailgate on the right field plaza and compete against each other in on-field promotions.
Saturday, Feb. 15 - Family Fun Pack: Four tickets, four hot dogs, four bags of chips and four soft drinks for just $40 • Baseball Bingo: Score the game for a chance to win great prizes, including a diamond giveaway from Hudson-Poole Fine Jewelers.• Sorority Saturday: Six select sororities are invited to tailgate on the right field plaza and compete against each other in on-field promotions. Yard games will be provided and the groups will be recognized during the game.
Sunday, Feb. 16 - Sunday Funday: Youth tickets are just $3; the first 100 kids 12 & under receive a free hot dog & drink; run the bases and play catch on the field after the game. • Camp Reunion: Alabama Baseball campers receive a buy one, get one free ticket offer and take the field with the Crimson Tide prior to the game.
Follow the Tide Live
• All Alabama baseball games throughout the 2014 season will be broadcast by the Crimson Tide Sports Network (CTSN).
• The radio call for the Friday and Saturday games will be available on The Game 99.1 FM in Tuscaloosa and available on the Crimson Tide Sports Network throughout the state. Sunday's game will only be available on 790 AM WTSK in Tuscaloosa and will not be available through the CTSN.
• Chris Stewart and Lee Tracey will provide the call for all three games of the series against Stephen F. Austin.
About the Crimson Tide
Alabama opened the season by winning a three-game series against the Saint Louis Billikens at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Tide dropped the opening game of the series to Saint Louis, 2-1, before winning game two, 4-3, and game three, 9-3. Stephen F. Austin comes into the series with a 2-2 record, following a 12-3 loss to No. 19 Texas A&M on Tuesday night. SFA opened the season by winning two of three games in the UTA Invitational. The Lumberjacks defeated Texas-Arlington, 14-9, to open the season before suffering a 3-1 loss to No. 18 Oklahoma State on Saturday. SFA closed the tournament with a 12-5 win over Incarnate Word.
Alabama Quick Hitters
• The Alabama pitching staff held Saint Louis to a .202 team batting average while posting a 2.33 ERA the first weekend of the season.
• In a total of 16 innings, the Tide bullpen allowed two earned runs, posting a 1.12 ERA.
• The UA bullpen finished the weekend with 14 consecutive innings without allowing an earned run.
• The Tide used a total of 11 pitchers in the three game series, which included three freshmen that combined for seven scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
• Offensively, Alabama had a .234 batting average, while averaging 4.6 runs per game.
• Sophomore shortstop Mikey White paced the Tide with a .400 average against Saint Louis that included a triple, an RBI and scored three runs, including the game-winner in the ninth inning of Saturday's 4-3 win. White also had three walks and finished the weekend with a .600 slugging percentage and a .538 on-base percentage.
• Wade Wass delivered the ninth-inning, game-winning RBI single on Saturday and finished the game 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI. Wass finished the week with a team-high five walks to post a .538 on-base percentage.
• Ben Moore was 3-for-9 in the SLU series and tied for the team lead with three RBI and three runs scored.
• Justin Kamplain logged the most innings pitched, going five inning in his start on Saturday ... after allowing three runs on three hits in the first inning, Kamplain did not allow a hit, while striking out five in his last four innings.
• Friday night starter Spencer Turnbull threw three scoreless innings, allowing a hit with four strikeouts before the rain delay.
• Freshman LHP Thomas Burrows (1-0) got the win in his Crimson Tide debut, when he threw a perfect ninth inning on Saturday against the Billikens.
• Jon Keller (1-0) was the winning pitcher on Sunday versus Saint Louis after throwing four scoreless innings. He allowed one hit and retired the last nine batters he faced.
About the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
• Following a 12-3 loss to Texas A&M on Tuesday night, Stephen F. Austin enters the series against Alabama with a 2-2 record.
• The Lumberjacks opened the season with a 2-1 record in the UTA Invitational, posting wins over UT-Arlington (14-9) and Incarnate Word (12-5), while losing to No. 18 Oklahoma State (3-1).
• SFA returns 16 lettermen, including five position starters and seven pitchers from a 2013 team that posted a 28-29 overall record.
• Stephen F. Austin finished sixth in the Southland Conference with a 15-12 record in 2013.
• Johnny Cardenas is in his sixth season as the head coach at SFA, where he has posted a 150-139 record.
• Through four games, the Lumberjacks are hitting .306 as a team, while averaging 7.5 runs and 11.0 hits per game.
• The SFA pitching staff has an ERA of 6.94 while allowing opponents to hit .329.
• Offensively, Stephen F. Austin is led by designated hitter Mackenzie Handel, who is hitting .462 with a double, a home run and three RBI.
• Nick Ramos is hitting .400 with a double and two RBI and Ricardo Sanchez has a .357 average with a double, a triple and two RBI.
• The team's RBI leader is Joseph Olson with six, Will Vest has five RBI and Dickey Matthew has four.
• Pitchers Cameron Gann and Dillon Mangham have one win each this season. Gann has a 3.60 ERA while Mangham has a 1.80 ERA with a team-high six strikeouts in five innings pitched.
• Kevn Bishop leads the team with 6.1 innings pitched and Chris Hassold leads the team with three appearances out of the bullpen.
All-time Series against SFA
• When Alabama and Stephen F. Austin take the field on Friday night, it will mark the first ever meeting between the two teams in baseball.
On Deck For the Tide
Following series against Stephen F. Austin, Alabama will hit the road for four games next week. The Crimson Tide opens the week on Wednesday, Feb. 26, with a 6 p.m. game against the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles. Alabama will remain on the road for a weekend series against nationally ranked Louisiana, beginning on Friday Feb. 28. UL-Lafayette enters this week with a 3-1 record and ranked as high as No. 14 by Baseball America. The Rajin Cajuns are also ranked No. 22 by Collegiate Baseball and No. 24 by the NCBWA.