March 23, 2012
Box Score |
COACH Mitch Gaspard
“Sullivan wasn’t as sharp as he’s been, but I think he certainly gave us another quality start today. He gave us an opportunity and took us through six innings. We tied the game and then just imploded in the seventh inning. It was just a combination of our bullpen and their swinging the bat well. Right now we aren’t doing enough things well to win games. Tonight we had a little bit of offense; it was better than what is has been, and defensively even some errors don’t show up. Still, our range has to improve, and there are just certain plays in the game that you have to make. You have to turn double plays; you have to do certain things to keep the momentum going and to create momentum for yourself. The guys in the bullpen, their job is to come in and to keep the game right there and let the offense keep going, particularly when you have an inning where you get some energy going. That’s kind of been a theme for us. Right now, when we get something going we tend to go right back out there and give it back to the other team.”
On tying the season high for hits in a game:
“It was good to see. Dugas got going tonight, and that was big. Anytime he gets going we’ve got an opportunity to score runs. Jared Reaves had a three-hit night, and that’s the first game all year we’ve had two guys with three hits or more. That was a good sign, and hopefully that can carry over tomorrow and we can pitch throughout the game, for all nine innings and defend as well. That’s the problem for us. It’s not just one area, there are so many areas that continue to break down, and it always starts at the mound.”
On the chance of winning the next games:
“Every game’s tough to lose, whether you hit or you don’t hit, whatever the reason. When you’re 8-14, it’s a difficult thing for our team right now to see where the next win’s coming from. But there are things you have to do to win games, and right now we don’t do enough of those things.”
On what went wrong in the bullpen tonight:
“They just got hits. Players came in, we walked one, and then a guy hits a double. Before you know it they’ve got six hits in one inning. I’d have to look at the video to see where the pitches are. I give credit to Mississippi for swinging the bat that well.”
#11, Trey Pilkington, RHP
On the seventh inning:
“Everyone went out there and threw their best stuff, Mississippi just racked up a lot of hits. It’s hard to overcome that, but we’ll come back tomorrow.”
On the offensive performance in today’s game:
“We put a lot of good at-bats together tonight. We’re just going out there and carrying out our coach’s plan, we just have to get a little better about it. We’re going to keep working, they’re [Mississippi] going to keep working, and we’re going to come out on the field tomorrow with the same fire we had today.”
#1, Taylor Dugas, OF
On what the plan was for tonight’s game:
“Starting 0-3 last weekend was rough. I think we had good intensity in the dugout, and I think that our guys played hard, harder than we’ve been playing. The seventh inning just hurt us.”
On tonight’s loss:
“It’s frustrating. We’ve kind of been up and down all year; we know that we can’t dig ourselves in too deep a hole. We’re going to have to start putting some games together.”
POST GAME NOTES:
* Jared Reaves had an RBI double in the first inning, it was his 25th career double 59th RBI of his career.
* Reaves ended the game 3-for-5 with three runs scored and one RBI. It was his first three-hit game of the season and seventh of his career.
* Josh Rosecrans notched his first career triple at Alabama in the bottom of the sixth inning.
* Junior catcher Brett Booth drove in his team-leading 15th and 16th RBIs of the season.
* Booth was 2-for-5 in the game, notching his fifth multi-hit game of the season 22nd of his career.
* Junior RHP Charley Sullivan pitched 6.0 innings in today’s game, marking the fifth straight start his lasted into the sixth inning or later.
* With a leadoff single in the first inning, Taylor Dugas has reached base in all 22 games this season to extend his streak to 34 consecutive games.
* Dugas hit his first home run of the season in the bottom of the eighth inning.
* Dugas was 4-for-5 in today’s game, with one run and one RBI, tying his career-high for hits in a game.
* It was Dugas’ 92nd multiple hit game of his career and marked the seventh time he’s had four hits in a game.
* Ben Moore was 2-for-3 and had two RBI in the game, marking his sixth multi-hit game and third multi-RBI game this season.
* Trey Pilkington threw 2.2 scoreless innings in relief for the Crimson Tide.
* Alabama tied their highest amount of hits for the season in today’s game.
* In today’s game Alabama collected their highest runs and hits totals against an SEC opponent this