March 1, 2013
Box Score |
HEAD COACH Mitch Gaspard
"Overall, there starter and reliever did a really good job of pounding the streak zone with the fastball. On our end, offensively, we really never got anything going. I thought we were very passive tonight at the plate. I know their kids good, but we should have been more aggressive at the fastball. We have to create more opportunities for ourselves offensively. We really just didn't have that many quality at bats tonight. We were down two strikes almost every hitter and every inning, credit to their guys. We've got to be better offensively. They had the big inning there in the fourth, which was all created with two outs. I just thought our game today wasn't sharp, we were just a little off and never got going in any area tonight. We had a lot of strike outs and the numbers looked ok, but the overall performance was not very sharp on our end."
Thoughts on shaking things up tomorrow
"We're going to look at a guy or two, to see if we can get a little more offense in a couple spots. I thought tonight a couple guys jumped out, but the overall approach, one through nine, isn't going to get it done like that. This has to be a team that plays the way we have. Offensively, they have to really battle and compete every pitch, particularly when you see a really good Friday night guy."
Thoughts Ben Moore getting a couple hits tonight
"It was good to see and he's going to get it going. He's one guy tonight that had the approach we wanted. He stayed to the middle of the field and that's got to be his game and take what they give him. He's going to get going and I feel confident about that."
Alabama Player Quotes
#7, Ben Moore, RF
Thoughts on the opposing pitcher
"He was good. He filled up the zone and he as a really good slider. I don't think it's anything that we can't handle. I feel like we got away from approach tonight. It's something that we work on all the time, but tonight it just didn't happen."
# 29, Charlie Sullivan, P
Thoughts on coming off the mound in the third inning
"It was more just of an instinct. It was probably the third baseman's ball but there were two outs and I wanted to make a play. I don't think it threw me out of rhythm. I always seem to have an inning where things don't go our way. I was still locked in and ready to pitch."
POST GAME NOTES:
* Brett Booth threw out another runner in tonight's game, and has thrown out 7-of-14 base runners on the season.
* Charley Sullivan recorded a career-high 12 strikeouts in tonight's game, breaking his previous career high of six.
* Sullivan was the first Crimson Tide pitcher to strike out 10 batters in a game since Nathan Kilcrease fanned 10 against Northwestern State on March 5, 2011.
* With a third-inning walk, Georgie Salem has now reached back safely in all nine games this season.
* Brett Booth recorded his third multi-hit game of the season with a 2-for-4 night. It marks his 30th career multi-hit game.
* Ben Moore recorded his second multi-hit game of the season to give him 19 multiple-hit games in his career.
* Keaton Haack threw 3.1 scoreless innings against Tulane, and has not allowed an earned run in 8.1 innings pitched.
* Haack set a new career-high with four strikeouts against Tulane.