With this new expansion project, Bryant-Denny Stadium will see an increase in seating capacity to approximately 101,000, keeping it among the largest on-campus football stadiums in the nation.
This expansion will be the fourth expansion of this magnificent edifice since 1988, the seventh expansion in the stadium's history. Other expansions were completed in 1946, 1961, 1966, 1988, and 1998. Since those early games, a number of projects have expanded Bryant-Denny Stadium to its current capacity of 92,138.
The most recent project, which began immediately following the 2004 football season, also added three levels of premium seating, a pair of large video scoreboards in the north end zone and state-of-the-art wrap-around display boards situated on the facades of the east and west upper decks. A unique addition to the stadium was a plaza connecting the stadium with University Boulevard. The plaza, which quickly became a focal point on game-day Saturdays, honors Alabama's national champion-ship coaches and commemorates the Tide's 12 national and 21 SEC titles.
That expansion added 38 luxury skyboxes, bringing the total number of skyboxes in the stadium to 123. Also added was a club level area and traditional upper deck seating. Office space is also included, as well as a home team locker room located in the north end zone. A state-of-the-art sound system was installed in 2005.
The evolution of Bryant-Denny Stadium has been significant from its origins back in 1929 when 12,000 seats were erected for a Crimson Tide team coached by Wallace Wade that featured an All-American lineman named Fred Sington.
The Tide beat Mississippi College, 55-0, in the first game played at Denny Stadium on September 28, 1929. The stadium was officially dedicated October 5, 1929, when the Tide beat Ole Miss, 22-7.
In the 1930s, during the heart of the Frank Thomas Era, Denny Stadium increased in size to approximately 24,000 in a time that the Crimson Tide featured the legendary Don Hutson.
After Alabama's perfect season in 1945, which included a Rose Bowl win over Southern California, bleachers were added for the 1946 season. A record crowd of 31,000 watched the Harry Gilmer-led Tide beat Southwestern Louisiana, 54-0, on October 12 to dedicate the largest stadium in the state.
When Paul Bryant returned to Alabama in 1958, Denny Stadium had remained untouched, but the legendary coach mapped out details for an additional 12,000 seats and a new press box with an elevator that was completed for the run to the national title in 1961. In the first game with 43,000 seats, the Tide beat North Carolina State, 26-7, October 14.
Noteworthy that autumn afternoon was the fact that the Wolfpack, led by future NFL superstar Roman Gabriel, jumped to a 7-0 lead. It would be the only time Alabama would trail an opponent all year long.
After national titles in 1964-65 and with an increasing demand for tickets, Bryant implemented an expansion of 17,000 seats, upping the capacity to 60,000 in 1966. A 26-0 victory over Clemson, coached by Frank Howard, was the first game in the 60,000-seat Denny Stadium.
During the summer of 1975, Bert Bank, who had matured from a teenage fan to a World War II hero to a state senator, used his political clout to have the stadium re-named Bryant-Denny Stadium and on April 10, 1976, during the annual A-Day game, the official dedication took place.
Bryant-Denny experienced a first on November 17, 1979, when ABC, with Al Michaels calling the play-by-play, aired the first live television game from campus. Other on-campus stadiums had outpaced Alabama in refurbishing and expansions, as the Crimson Tide continued to play most of its key games at legendary Legion Field in Birmingham. That would change dramatically in the 1980s.
After Alabama beat Temple in the final game of the 1986 Tuscaloosa schedule, construction began on the upper deck, new press box, Ivory Club, President's Club and locker rooms.
After playing its entire home schedule at Legion Field in Birmingham in 1987, the Tide returned to a 70,123-seat configuration in 1988. It was also the first season of Tide Pride and in the home opener; Alabama beat Vanderbilt, 44-10, on September 24.
Ten years later, and nearly four years after the planning stages began under Director of Athletics Hootie Ingram in 1994, the east side expansion was completed, upping the capacity to 83,818. Brigham Young served as the opponent on September 5, 1998, in a night game that featured a five-TD effort by Shaun Alexander in Alabama's 38-31 victory.
In 1999, four additional skyboxes were added and a scoreboard with video replay capabilities was added to the south end. Other recent additions to Bryant-Denny Stadium include two east side reception areas for Scholarship and A-Club level patrons. These areas are located above the center entrance on the east side and include rooms large enough to host receptions and pre-game meal functions. A bank of lights was also added on the east side.
When Alabama and Hawaii met to open the 2006 season, a sellout crowd marked the largest crowd to view a college football game in the state of Alabama. Included in the 1998 east side expansion were 10,000 bleacher seats and two spiral walkways to give the stadium a more symmetrical appearance. A total of 81 skyboxes (on two levels) were also added. The skyboxes were built in two sizes: 24-seat capacity (18) and 16-seat capacity (64).
The 2008 season was only the eighth time in the stadium's history that Alabama has played all of its home games at Bryant-Denny Stadium. From 1900 until 2003, Alabama played at least one home game at Birmingham's Legion Field. The Crimson Tide owns an impressive 218-46-3 (.822) all-time record in Tuscaloosa as more than seven million fans have witnessed the Crimson Tide play in 98 home games over the last 18 seasons.
Today's structure includes 123 skyboxes as well as a pair of large video scoreboards in the north end zone and wrap-around display boards, situated on the facades of the east and west upper decks. Special rooms for scholarship donors as well as the A-Club are featured sections of the inner area of the East side and were included the expansion during the 1990s.
BRYANT-DENNY STADIUM'S NAMESAKES
Paul W. Bryant
Paul William Bryant (1913-1983) returned to Alabama as head football coach in 1958 after playing for the Tide from 1933-35 and serving as an assistant coach from 1936-39. The Bryant era at Alabama spanned more than a quarter of a century. Bryant-Denny Stadium, Bryant Hall, the Bryant Conference Center and the Bryant Museum stand as reminders of Bryant's legacy to the University. A legacy of winning.
Dr. George Denny
George Hutcheson Denny (1870-1955) accepted the presidency of The University of Alabama on January 1, 1912. He began an extraordinary presidential career that spanned almost a quarter of a century. Denny Chimes and Bryant-Denny Stadium stand as reminders of Denny's legacy to the University.
|ALABAMA COACHES AT BRYANT-DENNY STADIUM|
|Frank W. Thomas||1931-46||37-3-1||.915|
|Harold "Red" Drew||1947-54||18-3-1||.841|
|J.B. "Ears" Whitworth||1955-57||2-4-1||.357|
|Paul W. "Bear" Bryant||1958-82||72-2||.973|